Saturday, October 25, 2008

In loving memory

Grandma and Grandpa Rodgers
The man on the left side of the Beautiful woman...(that I inherited my GREAT skin from...all most no blemishes)  is my grandpa.  This man has done some amazing things in his life.  He has lived through the depression, flown planes in the war, fathered 4 boys, 9 grandkids, worked a hard life, owned his own plane, made a quarter out of a penny, served our country forever, was a supportive husband to a hard working school teacher, rooted for the Oakland A's, and much more.  I wish I had known him when he was young and vibrant...and very very handsome.  He had to have been so much fun flying around California with his brothers, wife and children.  This man worked hard his entire life to care for his family, and was very successful.  I didn't really spend a lot of time with them growing up because they lived to stinking far away.  I did see them enough to make myself his favorite granddaughter!  3 years ago the family and I lived with them for a summer.  It was a great time for me to get to know both my grandparents! I am so glad I did because early Thursday morning Fred Jackson Rodgers passed away while sleeping.   I am sad for grandma because she is alone, but I am so glad that grandpa was able to pass on.  His body was getting old, and he couldn't do anything for himself anymore.  The last time we saw him he was barely talking.  Grandma made him talk to Carter though.  So I just want to say...I love you grandma and will enjoy getting to know the young you in the future!  

4 comments:

Josh, Christy, C,N,J, and A said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Mare. But he's truly in a better place and I know you know that.He sounds like an amazing guy. I love you!

Sarah H said...

What a nice tribute to your grandpa. I wish grandparents could stay aruond forever, but i like how you said you look forward to getting to know the younger granpda in the future.
take care.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you wrote on my blog to introduce me to your blogging family! Yes, I know I already posted the pictures within a couple of hours but it was because the kids passed out when we got home and I wanted my camera downloaded & emptied before tonight's festivities:-) I look forward to checking out your blog...

Annessa said...

Sorry to hear about that. Very nice words.